Volunteer Opportunity – Victim Assistance Unit
The Medicine Hat Police Victim Assistance Unit is a 24/7 police-based victim assistance program that was developed and launched in 1989 to provide information, support and referrals to victims and witnesses of crime or tragedy in Medicine Hat. Volunteer Advocates are first responders who provide practical support during the first few critical hours after a crime or tragedy.
MHPS Victim Assistance serves as a central location of information for those who have been victimized, providing updates on court cases as well as information about victim impact statements, requests for restitution, provincial benefits and referrals to community resources, court orientation and court support.
As a Volunteer Advocate you will
- Be available to volunteer for a minimum of three (3) scheduled shifts per month.
- Minimum 2 hours/week phone and court file work.
- Attend court orientation with witnesses and provide emotional support during trials.
- Attend monthly staff meetings
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be able to follow written and verbal instructions
- Attend all shifts they commit to
- Provide excellent customer service
- Must possess valid Alberta Class 5 Drivers License
- Be enthusiastic, friendly and outgoing with a positive attitude
- Be a good team player who contributes positively to their team
- Be physically fit and able to access buildings/dwellings with limited accessibility (climbing up porches, stairs, etc.)
- Have strong communication skills both oral and written, as well as great interpersonal and active listening skills
- Have an awareness and understanding of Indigenous culture and history
- Have an awareness of diverse demographics and cultures within the City of Medicine Hat
- Be familiar and knowledgeable of the City of Medicine Hat
- Must pass a Police Service security clearance as outlined in the Medicine Hat Police Service Policy and Procedures.
Please ensure your resume includes a list of professional, work related references as well as a description of your volunteer experience.
We thank all applicants; however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact: Laura Deschamps, MHPS Victim Assistance Program Manager at 403-581-1054 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: 580 1 St SE, Medicine Hat, AB
Closing Date : 12th October, 2023