Respond and attend to guest repair requests. Communicate with guests/customers to resolve maintenance issues. Perform preventive maintenance on tools and kitchen and mechanical room equipment, including cleaning and lubrication. Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines. Carry equipment (e.g., tools, radio). Identify, locate, and operate all shut-off valves for equipment and all utility shut-offs for buildings. Maintain maintenance inventory and requisition parts and supplies as needed. Communicate each day’s activities and problems that occur to the other shifts using approved communication programs and standards. Display basic knowledge or ability to acquire knowledge in the following categories: air conditioning and refrigeration, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, pneumatic/electronic systems and controls, carpentry and finish skills, kitchen equipment, vehicles, energy conservation, and/or general building. Perform all surface preparation, painting, minor drywall and wood trim repair, light bulb and A/C filter replacement and the complete and thorough cleanup of the painting or repair area. Test, troubleshoot and perform basic repair on all types of equipment, plumbing (e.g., plunge toilets and unclog drains), electrical components including lamps, cosmetic items, extension cords, vacuum cleaners, internet devices, replace electrical switches and outlets, and other guestroom items. Program TV’s and perform general housekeeping and engineering-related inventory duties. Use the Lockout/Tagout system before performing any maintenance work. Perform repairs on interior and exterior landscaping as well as external landscaping sprinklers. Display basic computer skills including inputting air handler schedules and making temperature changes.
Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report any maintenance problems, safety hazards, accidents, or injuries; complete safety training and certifications; and properly store flammable materials. Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional, maintain confidentiality of proprietary information, and protect company assets. Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards, anticipate and address guests’ service needs, assist individuals with disabilities, and thank guests with genuine appreciation. Adhere to quality expectations and standards. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others, support team to reach common goals, and listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Speak with others using clear and professional language. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance and heavier lifting or movement tasks with assistance. Move up and down stairs, service ramps, and/or ladders. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Enter and locate work-related information using computers. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested.
- Display basic proficiency in the following categories: air conditioning and refrigeration, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, pneumatic/electronic systems and controls, carpentry and finish skills, kitchen equipment, vehicles, energy conservation, and/or general building.
- Perform all surface preparation and painting, minor drywall and wood trim repair, light bulb and A/C filter replacement and the complete and thorough cleanup of the painting or repair area.
- Test, troubleshoot, and perform basic repair on all types of equipment, plumbing (e.g., plunge toilets and unclog drains), electrical components including lamps, cosmetic items, extension cords, vacuum cleaners, internet devices, replace electrical switches and outlets, and program TV’s.
- Perform repairs on interior and exterior landscaping as well as external landscaping sprinklers.
- Perform general housekeeping and engineering-related inventory duties.
Accident Prevention and Safety
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to promote a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
- Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and machines.
- Follow Hazardous Material Management Program procedures for handling and disposing of chemicals, fertilizer, pesticides, blood borne pathogens, etc., including using Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
- Use the Lockout/Tagout system before performing any maintenance work.
- Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
- Maintain a working knowledge of fire sprinkler and emergency power systems and be familiar with the duties and responsibilities of the Fire and Emergency Rescue Teams.
- Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., Fire and Emergency Response Team, evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters) in order to preserve the building and its systems during the emergency and act as quickly and responsibly as possible to return the building to its normal operating status.
- Store all flammable materials in OSHA and EPA approved containment devices.
Install, Maintain, and Repair Items
- Carry all equipment (e.g., keys, phones, pager, tools, radio) in order to maintain preparedness to carry out work tasks at all times.
- Respond and attend to guest repair requests.
- Organize all painting and maintenance areas properly utilizing the appropriate methods and supplies.
- Clean all tools and equipment and return to the shop and secure in the proper area.
- Clean, lubricate, protect and otherwise maintain all tools and equipment in the hotel.
- Identify, locate, and operate all shut-off valves for equipment.
- Perform preventive maintenance in a timely manner.
Maintain Building and Property
- Clean all engineering areas as directed by Engineering Management.
- Observe energy and utilities usage in the hotel and on the grounds.
- Look for ways to conserve energy and report any ideas to the Engineering Management.
Maintain Records or Logs
- Maintain the preventive maintenance records, inspections, and rounds using a computer management system.
- Maintain a proper inventory of parts, materials, equipment, tools, and supplies necessary to perform his/her job.
- Maintain maintenance inventory and requisition parts and supplies as needed.
- Assure each day’s activities and problems that occur are communicated to the other shifts using approved communication programs and standards.
- Read, log, track and interpret readings from meters, gauges and other measuring devices in accordance with inspection and rounds procedures.
- Assist in the compilation of data for preventive maintenance inspection records.
- Address guests’ service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest’s name when possible.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, PLEASED, Guest Response, LEAP) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Respond to all guest complaints promptly and, if cannot remedy the situation, let the proper people know so they can follow up and try to satisfy the guest.
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Follow verbal or written directions pertaining to minor maintenance repairs.
- Keep supervisor updated on assignments.
- Maintain communication with supervisors to so that all needed materials, tools and supplies are available or on order.
Working with Others
- Perform daily assigned work orders and follow engineering standard operating procedures.
- Work with housekeeping staff and other departments to maintain all rooms, buildings, and property in perfect condition.
- Train and provide technical advice to other engineers as needed or requested.
- Work in a team environment and effectively interact with all levels of the organization.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Work in a neat and efficient manner, keeping work areas clean and well organized.
- Support the improvement of engineering services that effectively address problems affecting owners, guests and employees.
- Complete all maintenance or repair assignments in a timely, safe and professional manner.
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
- Transmit information or documents using a computer.
- Enter and retrieve information contained in computer databases using a keyboard, mouse, or trackball to update records, files, reservation and answer inquiries from guests.
- Create and maintain computer- and paper-based filing and organization systems for records, reports, documents, etc.
- Display basic computer skills including inputting air handler schedules and making temperature changes.
- Lift, carry, reach, bend, and climb ladders.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps.
- Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects).
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance and heavier lifting or movement tasks with assistance.
- Assist with moving, lifting, carrying, and placing of objects weighing in excess of 100 pounds.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers.
Policies and Procedures
- Participate in departmental problem solving teams.
- Protect and otherwise maintain assigned tool pouch and its tools at the discretion of the Engineering Management.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested.
- Problem Solving
- Computer Skills
- Team Work
- Diversity Relations
- Interpersonal Skills
- Customer Service Orientation
- English Language Proficiency
- Safety Orientation
- Positive Demeanor
- Physical Strength
- Proper Lifting Techniques
- Hand-Eye Coordination
Tools and Equipment
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Hand/Power Tools
Technical Certifications and Licenses
- Valid Drivers License (preferred)
- Detail Orientation
- Time Management
- Planning and Organizing
High school diploma or G.E.D.
Related Work Experience
Some experience in general maintenance, exterior and interior surface preparation and painting. Experience in hotel engineering/maintenance a plus.
No supervisory experience is required
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Protea Hotels by Marriott® is the leading hospitality brand in Africa and one of the most widely recognized hospitality brands on the continent, with over 60 hotels across South Africa, Zambia, Nigeria, Namibia, Tanzania and Uganda. If you have a passion for delivering every guest a personalized service experience and desire to be part of the ‘Coolest Hotel Brand in South Africa’, join the Protea Hotels by Marriott® team today! In joining Protea Hotels, you join a portfolio of brands with Marriott International. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing globalteam, and become the best version of you.
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape 7925
Closing Date : 4th December, 2023